Sunday, March 6, 2011

The face of "special needs"

When Chad and I decided to go ahead and start the adoption process for a child from China I remember filling out the "checklist" of special needs and what we were willing to accept when it came to a referral of a young boy.  I remember reading the names of the needs and checking them off as we went.  I have to say that our list was pretty small.  Club foot-check. Cleft lip/palate-check. Minor heart problems-check.
After we got Xanders referral we read about cleft palate/lip and wondered what to expect.  We didn't worry that we couldn't handle his needs, we knew that we would be fine, and we are.  We truly think he is the most amazing child in the world :)  We have talked about adopting another but Chad worries next time we wouldn't be so "lucky."

If we decide to adopt again, our checklist would be different.  It would be longer.  Much, much longer.  Missing limb-check. Amniotic Banding syndrome-check. Mild CP-check.  Heart conditions-check. Hypospadia-check.  I could go on and on, but I wont.  You see that these are just "labels", the bottom line is you are adding a beautiful child to your family, one who needs a Mom and Dad.  A child who  wants  and deserves to be loved. 
                                              
    Xander is one of the millions of "special needs" children waiting for a home.  He is joy.  He is perfect.
                                           

                                   
                                                     He is the face of special needs.

3 comments:

  1. He's perfect in every way!

    I agree my list is much longer this time around. I now know I was just afraid of what I didn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if my previous post came through or not. But I just want to say that he's a beauty in every way! Tell Chad that we did it twice and were just as lucky the second time around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have just decided the same and filled out the very checklist you are talking about and will fax over to WACAP tomorrow!
    We too are hoping to add a special needs boy to our family. :)
    Your son is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete